Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What Does God Want?

Have you ever asked that question - what does God want, anyway? Does He want me to give up stuff or do hard things to prove my love for Him? If I give enough time or money or talents will that please God?

It's a valid question. Deep down I think everyone wants to please God - by good works or by keeping away from sin. We don't know exactly how to do that so we cast about and write books and hold seminars.

I think David had the answer in Psalm 51. You ought to read the whole thing. David really nails what we are like, and how that affects our standing with God.

But he says something at the end which should set us free from the endless quest to please God.

Psalm 51:16 "For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."

Isn't that cool? All God really wants is for us to realize we don't and can't measure up to His glory and to admit that state to Him. Stop trying to please God and just love Him. You'll be surprised what peace comes over your heart.

Pastor Tom

No comments: