Monday, August 06, 2007

Some Encouraging Words

I've been going through a hard time lately, and someone close to me an even more difficult time. It was the result of service to the Lord. I've known in theory that suffering for the Lord should be a good thing.

Acts 5:41 "... rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name."

It's fine in theory, but in practice it is much more difficult. At times it'd actually be preferable to die for Christ than suffer.

Thanks to the prayers of many around the world the enemy was beaten back and his attack thwarted.

I ran across these verse in the Psalms today as I continued my journey through the Scriptures.

Psalms 34:17-19 "When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. 18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." ESV

I take great comfort that God is near to me when my heart is broken, and that when my spirit is crushed, and I feel like I can't even take one more breath or one more step forward that He is there to save me.

I am also greatly comforted by the fact that God recognizes that as a person made righteous in Him that I will suffer many afflictions and I look to Him to deliver me out of them all.

Pastor Tom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Tom,

I'm sorry to hear that things haven't been going well lately. I noticed you didn't post for a few weeks and wondered what was up... You will be in my prayers.

Robert

Tom Fuller said...

Thanks, Robert. The Lord has triumphed over this attack. Pray for renewed strength!

Tom