Monday, August 13, 2007

This Too Shall Pass

I know it may seem that I've been on a doom and gloom theme lately. Perhaps it's because of things going on in my life, but perhaps also because of things that were going on in David's life when he wrote some of the Psalms we've looked at lately.

I was struck by a couple of verses in Psalm 71:20

20 You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again;
from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again.
21 You will increase my greatness and comfort me again.

Notice first that it was God that made David see trouble. That might strike you as odd, but it's true. But just as God brings trouble, He saves us out of it too. It doesn't mean that God is mean and likes to see us suffer. We shouldn't put God in a box like that. In reality He is much more complicated than that.

We could end up in difficulty because of our own choices, the fallen world we live in, or attack of the enemy. That part doesn't concern me here as much as the promise that no matter what you face, and no matter whether God was allowing or even behind it happening, you will come out again if you trust in Him.

And not only that, but David says that for all the suffering He will actually increase greatness and comfort. You will end up on the other side more like Him and more in love with Him than ever before.

Look for that. Count on that. Rejoice in that.

Pastor Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Tom,

I finally REMEMBERED to pray for you, your family, and your ministry last night. As I prayed for all members of the body who serve in the ministry (which ideally should be all of us), I remembered you. I can't remember the exact prayer... but I asked the Lord to let His will be done in your life. Sooner or later this season will pass, and you'll end up better off for it. God is in control of every situation, no matter how bleak things appear. God bless, and thanks once more for all the great words and podcasts I've read and listened to over the last couple of years.

Robert