Thursday, August 09, 2007

Not Greatly Shaken

I think sometimes we think that once we belong to God in Jesus Christ we are bullet proof - that nothing bad can or should happen to us.

That wasn't the experience of the Apostles and I don't think it is ours either if we admit it. The Christian life often includes perils of some kind or another. Maybe for you it is the taunts of friends or family. Perhaps it is actual physical attack. Maybe it is tremendous trial and tribulation that simply wrack your body and mind until you can't stand it any more.

In reading Psalm 62 I noticed this little verse:

"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken."

Notice that David doesn't say here "I will not be shaken at all." For us there will be times of turmoil and despair.

Jesus said "in the world you will have tribulation but be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world."

Paul said: "We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;" (
2 Cor 4:8-10)

You see, we are shaken, but not greatly. And we have the rock of the Lord Jesus to lean against, to take the blows, to provide a backstop and a fortress.

Look at verse 8: "Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us."

In the end God will triumph for you (11) "Once God has spoken; twice I have heard this: that power belongs to God."

Pastor Tom

1 comment:

Giulianna @ Family Blueprint said...

Wow! Thank you for this word from the Word!

I grew up under Don McClure when he was my pastor at CC Redlands. His life saying was from the Apostle Paul "None of these things move me..."

I so much want to be like that. However, right now I find that things do move me, even though my heart's desire is to be a woman of great faith and trust in the Lord.

"I shall not be greatly shaken."

Sometimes the Holy Spirit really brings me to tears. I cannot tell you how SWEET those words are to me right now. I am shaken, but I keep trying to put my eyes back on Jesus. I am NOT greatly shaken. That is sooooo cool to know I am NOT alone, there is a Scripture that fits me right here and right now!

Blessings to you and your church!