Thursday, October 30, 2008

What Are Your Proud Of?

When I was a kid I was really proud of my Matchbox(r) car collection. I would bring out my latest little metal car to show off to my friends. We think that when we grow up we are beyond this type of thing, but I don't think so anymore.

When we are all grown up we show off different things. Perhaps we have lost a lot of weight and are now sporting big muscles, or the ability to run 26 miles. We know we can out perform almost anyone we know and it makes us feel superior.

Perhaps we have several letters after our name from advanced degrees. We know that in most cases we are the smartest person in the room and we have to purposefully lower our vocabulary for most people to understand. When we need to we can win almost any argument by the shear force of our intellect.

Or maybe we've done really well in the stock market (okay, maybe not a good example right now). We have this great ability to make money and we know that we're probably the richest person we hang out with (in fact, we're kind of careful to hang out with people who are just slightly less well off than we are). We have the toys to prove it - no longer Matchbox cars, but real ones that are loud and red and fast. We show them off whenever we get the chance.

I just wanted to bring to our attention a well known verse out of Jeremiah 9.

9:23 Thus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord."

Ouch! What's something to be proud of? That we know God - and understand the character of God - a character that leads to steadfast love (when we don't deserve it), justice (to a people who don't deserve it), and righteousness (given to people who can't earn it).

So instead of showing off your Matchbox car, show off your God and His great love. Who's the greatest person in the room then?

Pastor Tom

No comments: