Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Circumcision

This is a bit of an unusual post so kids, avert your eyes!

I was reading about God's covenant with Abram. The sign of that covenant was circumcision, the cutting away of the male foreskin.

I know there are lots of spiritual symbols for this, and the New Testament counterpart is baptism. But I got to thinking about why this act to represent God's agreement with man?

Three things hit me: God is taking over man's strength (in his ability to reproduce), he is striking at man's most vulnerable area, and it is an intimate place that almost no one sees.

In that way, God is saying "I am your strength, you must rely on me, and I will have a deep relationship with you that no one else will have."

Do you feel that way in your relationship with Him? Is he your strength, are you vulnerable before him and do you feel that intimate relationship with him, spending time with him, sharing your inmost thoughts and desires?

Might be a good idea!

Pastor Tom

No comments: