Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fruit

Jesus made a very familiar statement in John 15:5 "Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit."

I got to thinking about fruit today. When we think of fruit what comes to mind? I think about activity. If we are a busy person then we are bearing much fruit. I think about success. If a lot of people know all the things we are doing then we are fruitful. I think about prestige. If people respect us for all the activity then we are bearing fruit.

Then I got to thinking about what Jesus actually said and two things come to mind.

The first is that he is pretty definite that if we have his life then we WILL bear fruit. That's a promise. It's cause and effect. It is a foregone conclusion. So what fruit should we look for?

It's found in verse 12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life for his friends." He also told us to love our enemies and pray for those who spitefully use us.

I'm beginning to think that fruit isn't what we do as much as who we are. Paul the Apostle said that fruit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self control (Galatians 5:22).

If we abide in him as the vine then his life force is flowing through us, changing us into his image. As you look for fruit in your life, don't look for activity and accomplishment, but look for love - love for those you normally would not, should not, love. Look for character, not activity.

Pastor Tom

No comments: