Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Starting Over

It's great to start a new year. My 2007 was pretty eventful and pretty difficult. My family and I have been through so much that one person suggested that I should just burn 2007.

Well, I don't want to do that. God did some pretty amazing things and brought me through some pretty incredible trials. I'm stronger in him though weaker in myself and that's okay.

It reminded me, though, of a little verse at the end of the Old Testament that you may have never read:

Zechariah 10:6 "I will strengthen the house of Judah, and I will save the house of Joseph.
I will bring them back because I have compassion on them, and they shall be as though I had not rejected them..." ESV

Wouldn't it be great if you could turn back time and undo all the stupid stuff you did in the past? I've said and done things that I really regret but like a wise person once said "you can't unring a bell." But with God, it seems, you can.

"they shall be as if I had not rejected them."

With the payment that Jesus Christ made by becoming human and voluntarily laying down his life for us we can be with God as if we had never been apart from him. "His mercies never come to an end; 23 they are new every morning" (Lamentations 3:22-23).

In Jesus it is as if you had never sinned--as if Adam had never sinned. All your mistakes and weaknesses are wiped away. You can come before God in purity and holiness.

Try thinking about that as you start your 2008.

Pastor Tom

No comments: