Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"This Thing Is From Me"

In my last blog entry I talked about Rehoboam and how he listened to the harsh advice from his peers rather than heeding the merciful words from his elders. This didn't go over too well with the people he ruled. In fact, it led to the dividing of Israel as a nation. Oddly, though, God said He was in it.

In 2 Chronicles 11, Rehoboam recognizes that he's got to do something to restore his kingdom. He doesn't do it with diplomacy or with saying that he was wrong (something his grandfather David would have done) but seeks to go to arms against his brothers. He raises any army of 180,000 men for the job.

But Shemaiah the prophet comes to him and says (2 Chronicles 11:4) "Thus says the Lord, you shall not go up or fight against your relatives. Return every man to his home, for this thing is from me." This time Rehoboam listened to good advice and a blood bath was averted, for the time being.

The point that hit me from this revelation was that there may come a time when you have blown it, and you think "I've got to fix this with whatever means are at my disposal." And your solution to the problem may be worse than the problem you were trying to fix.

I made that mistake once in dealing with someone who was acting inappropriately. Instead of coming alongside and discipling this person I made changes to the ministry I was involved with. In the end I alienated a lot of people and caused more harm than good. God is good, however. Years later we were reconciled and growth took place.


But next time I might just give away my pride and realize that although I blew it, God is in it to work "all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes." Then I'll let patience and repentance guide me into His will.

Pastor Tom

No comments: