Tuesday, October 03, 2006

On Balance

There is a pervasive opinion in our world today that God grades on the curve. We think that when we get to heaven we can make a case to God that all the good I did, and the bad I didn't do should outweigh any sins I've committed.

Some might call it karma-my good karma cancels out my bad karma if I've done enough good in my life. I call it bad information.

Read Ezekiel 33, for instance. Here's a snippet: "12 The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him when he transgresses, and as of the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall by it when he turns from his wickedness, and the righteous shall not be able to live by his righteousness when he sins."

In other words, any sin cancels out all the good you've done. What is sin? It's anything that is outside the character of God. If you think that's an easy standard, just read Revelation 22:15 (lying, for instance-ever lied, even once?)

The good news is that no matter what bad you have done, if you repent and turn (change your mind) about those things, and seek God's cleansing through His Son Jesus Christ, then no amount of bad will keep you from God's presence. God in affect sees His righteous Son Jesus rather then you when He looks at you. It's a cool deal and one worth pursuing.

Pastor Tom

No comments: