Monday, September 25, 2006

New Every Morning

Do you ever look back at the end of the day and think "man, I blew it today. "I wish I hadn't..." or "I wish I would have..."? I do. Sometimes I feel the weight of my day on my shoulders as I try to go to sleep at night. I feel as if God must know my failings too. He must look down on me with disappointment; shaking His head and saying "if he'd only trusted Me on that."

When those times come remember the morning is coming.

The Israelies had one of those nights of regret. After centuries of going after other gods, Yahweh had finally had enough and He sent them into exile. The reality of that setting in was just too much for them. You read much of the anguish in the book of Lamentations. Most of it is good stuff to get you royally depressed. But there's this little nugget that I just love in chapter 3:

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

No matter how much you feel you have blown it and God has turned His back on you and given up - remember the morning is coming.

If you belong to God He NEVER gives up on you. The word "steadfast" is the idea of God's convenant love. He made a covenant with you if you have Jesus Christ as your Lord that will never end. His steadfast love brings with mercy - meaning you don't get what you deserve but get what you don't deserve, and that's a new start!

I'd encourage you to read Lamentations 3. There is a lot of hard stuff but a lot of wonderful stuff too. Search your soul and ask God's help, and whatever you find there:

Remember that the morning is coming.

Pastor Tom

No comments: