Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Attacking Sparrows

I used to work in a building where you walked up some steps to the front door. Each spring when you attempted to go in you would suddenly notice a flash of black go passed you, nearly knocking you off of your feet. For a while I ducked and ran, not knowing what in the world was attacking me.

My office happened to have a window that looked out over those front steps. One day I noticed other people doing the silly dance that I had done - trying to avoid the inevitable attack as they approached the front steps.

That's when I noticed the black flash going into a little hole in the side of the building. It was a sparrow. The bird was protecting its young from attack. We really weren't in any danger, but the speed of the bird's flight created a natural "fight or flight" response in us.

Verbal attacks are like that too. We're just going along and "bam!" - out of the blue someone says something meant to harm us, to weaken us, or to put us off. Like the sparrow attack, we respond with either fight or flight. We either push back with both barrels or we run away and cry. I'd like to propose another option:

Proverbs 26:2 "Like a sparrow in its flitting, like a swallow in its flying, a curse that is causeless does not alight."

After a while of ducking and running from those sparrows (yes, I did consider employing a baseball bat, but thought better of it), I just ended up ignoring them. I knew from experience and from watching that I was never in any real danger. They weren't going to actually run into me, so I just let them fly around me and I walked in at peace.

We can do the same with insults (or "curses" as the Proverb says). When someone hurls something at you like a fast moving sparrow - don't duck and run or swing back, just ignore them and go on your merry way.

It's the reaction the enemy is trying to get. So just don't give it to him. If Jesus has cleansed you then insults are no problem. Satan will accuse you, it doesn't mean you have to answer the charge.

Pastor Tom

No comments: