Thursday, September 20, 2007

Are You Correctable?

Proverbs 17:10 "A rebuke goes deeper into a man of understanding than a hundred blows into a fool."

In my last post I talked about how the human nature is self protecting naturally. We justify our own ways and when questioned we become instantly defensive.

What would it be like if we carefully considered the constructive things other people give to us? When you listen to a Bible study, do you allow the Scriptures to speak rebuke to you? When a loving family member has a correction for you, what is your response? How about at work - do the changes your boss wants to make to your work hurt you?

Now I'm not saying that anything anyone says to you should be taken deep into your heart and acted on. But I think it is wise to allow the Lord to speak to your heart through others - ask Him how this word or this situation can make you more like him.

Pastor Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a truth that took me years to understand. Pride kept me from receiving those nuggets of truth embedded in words of correction from people or circumstances. I am thankful that in Christ we are able to receive even the hardest criticism knowing that He will only keep in our hearts what needs to be changed and do away with the rest. God Bless!