Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Fullness of Joy

I love the Psalms - they are such an honest outpouring of grief, sorrow, anger, and love and worship. Psalm 16 is especially wonderful, especially because of who wrote it: David.

David was a king. He could have had anything he wanted - money, women, power - whatever he wanted. David was also a warrior. He could kill you before you knew what hit you. If there was ever anyone who could proudly say they were a self made man no one could touch - it would be David.

Yet here he is in Psalm 16 saying things like:

"...in you I take refuge."

"I have no good apart from you."

"The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot."

Why? Why would the most powerful man in his nation be so lowly? He knew the secret - he was really nothing and God was everything.

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Without Yahweh all the power and prestigious meant nothing. David knew that all he could amass in this life would mean nothing unless he had a relationship with his God. And he knew that real satisfaction can be found nowhere else.

Read Psalm 16 - and realize that your joy is not full unless experienced with God.

Pastor Tom

No comments: