Friday, July 06, 2007

The Crucifixion Psalm

Most of us have read Psalm 23: The Shepherd's Psalm... you know: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want ..."

But have you ever considered Psalm 22? It's known as the crucifixion Psalm because of how closely it describes the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It's so close, in fact, that it becomes one of the proof texts for the crucifixion.

Let's just look at the phrases that closely match what happened many hundreds of years later:

(vs 1) My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? (Jesus spoke these words on the cross)

(vs 7) All who see me mock me;they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 8 "He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him;
let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" (they shouted this to Jesus on the cross)

(vs 14) All my bones are out of joint (what happens to someone who is crucified)

(18) They divide my garments among them; and for my clothing they cast lots (the Roman soldiers who crucified Jesus did this exact thing, casting lots for Jesus' inner garment)

It's pretty amazing, really. Read the crucifixion account then Psalm 22. More than a coincidence? You bet!

Pastor Tom

No comments: