Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Where Do Blessing and Victory Come From?

I've just returned from a couple of weeks on holiday - a great relaxing time to rejuvenate and recuperate. As I got back into 1 Chronicles today I was struck by the way God worked in and through King David.

In chapter 16 we see David bring up the Ark of the Tabernacle and set it up in Jerusalem. I noticed that in verse 4: "Then he appointed some of the Levites as minister before the ark of the Lord, to invoke, to thank, and to praise the Lord."

I like that, by the way. We too should ask God's presence in our daily lives, thank him and praise him for what he has done and is doing. David then launches into a wonderful psalm of praise.

Directly from that he thinks "Behold I dwell in a house of cedar, but the Lord is under a tent." (17:1). He wants to build a temple but Nathan tells him that is Solomon his son that will build it. Then the Lord tells David that he will establish his throne forever (vs 12). What a promise!

What does this invoke in David? Humility. Later in chapter 17 he says "Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?"

After this, in chapter 18, David defeats the Philistines and subdues them - something Israel had tried to do ever since arriving in the Promised Land.

So the pattern we see here is: worship that leads to blessing, blessing that leads to humility, humility that leads to victory. A great example for us to follow!

Pastor Tom

No comments: