Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why don't I have Total Victory?

The Bible says we are "more than conquerors" through Jesus Christ. If that's the case, the why don't my problems disappear as soon as I claim victory in Jesus' name? Why does it seem I still have temptations and trials and things don't always go my way?

I think the answer is found in Exodus 23:29.

God is talking to his people about when he brings them into the Promised Land. He says something very interesting about the process of victory over the enemy:

23:29 I will not drive them out before you in one year, lest the land become desolate and the wild beasts multiply against you. 30 Little by little I will drive them out from before you until you have increased and possess the land."

I think there is a bit of a spiritual principal here. You may simply not be ready for complete victory right off the top. God may have some work to do to prepare you to handle taking full possession of the land. Putting an immature Christian in charge of a large church would be completely overwhelming and wrong. The body would suffer and so would the young believer.

Sometimes God gives us small victories so we can learn to trust Him, learn His ways, and learn His plan. Over time the victory is complete, but have patience.

Pastor Tom

No comments: