Thursday, May 11, 2006

Honesty Really Is the Best Policy

I'm constantly amazed by David of the Bible. In many ways He is my hero - a man who loved God intensly, lived life intensly - failed and sought forgiveness, triumphed and gave God glory. He was king, priest, worship leader, and a mighty warrior.

In reading the first 30 or so Psalms I got a new appreciation for him - a man of intense honesty with God.

In Psalm 22 he cries out "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" (a Messianic Psalm that prophecied about Jesus on the cross). Then in Psalm 28 he says "Blessed be the Lord! For He has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy."

In Psalm 18 he writes: "I was blameless before him, and I kept myself from guilt." And yet in Psalm 25 "Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness O Lord!"

Are these contradictions or even psychosis? No - they are the cries and yearnings of a man who lived his life naked before God. How often do we find ourselves posturing - before others and even to the Lord. We think that if we sound faithful and say it enough then it must be so.

David knew a secret - an honest and humble heart is heard by God through His Son Jesus. At times you may feel the wonderous joy of the forgiving grace of God and you cry out "I am blameless!" At times you might feel like the lowest scum on the earth when you fall into sin and you cry "God, have mercy on me."

Maybe at times you feel like the Lord is so close you could touch Him - and at other times you shout and he doesn't seem to hear or care.

My encouragement is to let it out - let your true and honest self out to Him. You may find, like David, that that kind of honesty can actually lead you from despair to triumph as you see God work in and through you - not because of how good you are but out of His mercy and strength.

No comments: