Monday, October 19, 2009

My Holy Spirit GPS

I was using one of those new GPS units the other day to guide me to my niece’s wedding rehearsal. The thing is supposed to pick up signals from outer space and turn them into turn by turn directions from one place to another. As we approached Portland on I-205 the voice kept insisting that I get off onto 82nd Avenue. I ignored it, of course, knowing that 205 was a much better route. Every time we would pass an exit the voice kept telling me to get off. It got pretty annoying. Pretty soon I wanted to just chuck the little voice out the window! Finally I figured out how to mute her and I continued on my merry way.

It wasn’t until I was well passed the possible turn off that I realized what was happening. As the cars slowed to a complete halt on the freeway I understood that the annoying little GPS voice was trying to route me around stopped traffic. Had I listened, understood, and acted upon her advice, I would have arrived on time and less stressed.

A few days later the Lord brought this little incident to my mind and reminded me of His Holy Spirit. Isaiah 30:21 says: Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." God promised that for the person who trusts and relies on Jesus, His Spirit, His Mind, His Voice actually lives in us. It can work through our conscience, through His Word in our memory, even through our intuition—that “still small voice” trying to get us to avoid the downfalls of sin and temptation.

At each intersection He tries to point us in the right direction. The question is, are we listening, understanding, and obeying?

No comments: